Monday, December 10, 2007

No Matter What, It's HIS Story...

Check out the Interactive Sermon blog for a great commentary on the Evangelical flap over the movie and books in "The Golden Compass" series. Here's my take...

The books are in my house, one of my kids has read some of them and gotten some enjoyment. I looked over the flap both before and after the controversy and come away completely underwhelmed about the nature of the fight.

Yes, the author has written them out of his antipathy to Jesus, the Scripture and the Gospel.

But here's the truth, this is still a Christian story.

I'm not defending the author, I'm confirming that we live in God's world and can never get away from it. So he puts names on the bad guys that sound like they're Christians. If you strip the names off the story, you'll recognize it... It's a Christian saga. He's just confused.

No one in this universe can exempt themselves from God's story. I've no doubt that if you read our DNA it would read "Gospel" all over it. Rebellion. Loss. Redemption. Honor. Hope. Glory. This IS My Father's World!

So this book gives me a great chance to point out to my kids how even when somebody seeks to defame Jesus, they praise Him.

No need to march in the streets... Just raise my hands and praise Him here... That's why we don't match Islam in its fury when we're "defamed".

Relax... There's really nothing to fight for.

Jesus shall reign where e'er the sun doth it's successive courses run.

D--

No comments: