Wednesday, December 05, 2007

... Contra Politics ... Contra Spirituality ... Jesus ...

I love life against the grain. I love the underdog. I love unexpected marriages and compassion in unlikely places.

My favorite wine is called Conundrum. It's a blend (Chardonnay and Riesling??? Pinot Grigio? I don't remember) with the quality of a varietal. Often blends use cheap varietals and mix them hiding the low quality. But Conundrum pairs an unlikely mix and winds up with distinct taste, not a bland mess.

I love Conundrum because I was introduced to this California wine when dining in a fine restaurant in Singapore captained by a Hawaiian chef.

My favorite dress shirt ever was a classic Nordstrom's pinpoint stripe. That year Nordy's had a blue stripe shirt, a green stripe shirt, a yellow stripe shirt, a black strip shirt and a red stripe shirt. You know the type of business shirt, alternating 1/4" strips of white and color. A little color but very very conservative.

Take that same shirt only ... make the back of one stripe combo, the front of another, the collar of another, the pocket and the placket of two more. You almost had to look twice to see that it wasn't just another stodgy shirt. The mix of things... that's where the beauty was. Color and fashion in an unexpected place. Traditional value lending the whole thing a classy air.

I met a gentleman tonight who is establishing a Christian philanthropy presence on Second Life, the hip alternative (or virtual) reality site. This is a wild and wooly place where Internet hipsters make a virtual life for themselves. They become anyone or anything they'd like to be, and live as that character throughout their time in that alternate universe.

This gentleman and a friend have established a site which links to Christian aid organzations... As people give in this alternate world, they can REALLY give... their results come up as changes to this presence... give money for a school and a school appears when it is really built.

Hipster tech meet Jesus... The Way, Truth and Life who told us to offer water to the thirsty and food for the hungry.

How about this... our next president makes a concerted effort to build a coalition government. He does not step down from his vision or his plans, but he includes the other political view, finding individuals who will work with rather than against from BOTH parties and a broad spectrum.

I love the wealthy man who takes off his coat and leaves it for the homeless man.

D--

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Come on over to the BVI Tavern on a Monday night when I'm working and I will serve you a glass of Conundrum. It's all mystery grapes!

Dave Nichols said...

Jackie,

That sounds like a GREAT idea... nothing like a quiet room, a great wine and good company!

Pouring a glass at home is guaranteed to make the kids storm and rage.

D--

Jackie said...

Monday, December 17th, looks like the next time I am over in the tavern. 4pm till closing (10pm-ish)! I'll see what the selections look like! Come on in and I'll buy you that Holiday drink! I will probably be there every Monday night starting in January. So, any Monday night from then on would be good for a visit, too!