Friday, January 04, 2008

Primary education...

What a day! I'm wiped out.

I spent my free moments between work assignments this morning phoning folks near Gov. Huckabee's event in Henniker, NH.

I've done phone banks before and this was really amazing. The first 3 days of calling in spare minutes was eye-opening. In past calling I've done, the response has been cool. But the number of excited people surprised me... Maybe 1 or 2 in 10 WANTED to go to the event.

The response was even more outstanding today after the Iowa results last night. It's fun to be a part of a happening.

And then this late afternoon I answered phones at the very busy NH headquarters.

The NH efforts have been a good deal less extensive than Iowa just because the resources were needed for the first state out of the gate. The thinking has been that Iowa is critical to Gov. Huckabee's efforts. He's been here in NH quite regularly, but on a shoestring.

So now the storm waves of success are crashing on a pretty sparsely populated beach. I was going to make outbound calls but the phones were ringing off the hook. I ended up fielding incoming calls.

The great fun was in handling the press calls. Reporters called for credentialing. The media advance guy in the caravan called in desperate for details as they neared the event in Henniker. He didn't think he'd gotten his point across and started to explain what press advance is... I told him I understood. he couldn't know that my daughter does advance in DC.

It was fun feeling a bit like I was watching HER job unfold.

Tomorrow I'm manning phones again, and then rallying and going to a debate party. It should be a blast!!!!

I like New Hampshire, but this political junkie thanks God for this posting in a special way every 4 years when it just gets fun beyond belief.

D--

No comments: