Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Do we want a Christian President?

A link from a visitor kind enough to leave their URL (see comments in the preceding post) has started a blog. The point of the blog is to support Gov. Mike Huckabee (YEAH!) and to usher in a Christian President (?).

I put a ? next to that because I don't think I agree with that aim.

This is a tough one to explain.

I went to a Huckabee event on Saturday. More on that later. For now, consider the overheard words of a woman at my church. This woman was rehashing the event with my pastor. I don't know the lady, but she was obviously there at the event.

"I'm a social conservative, but I don't want the Church to try to usher in morality through politics. I think that's the wrong way to go about things. That's the Church's role and I don't want anyone or any party getting in the way of that."

AMEN SISTER!

I've valued Chuck Colson's writings on the Church and Politics. He points out how the Church can so easily become the servant of a party or a campaign.

The Church is the Bride of Christ. HE is our ONLY Master. In bowing before Him WE are changed, and that change may well rankle the party or the campaign. So be it. That is the nature of how Jesus changes the world.

I do not want a Christian President. I would love to have a man of passionate Christian faith in the Oval Office. I see those as different. I will not vote for a man just because he is the "Christian Candidate". Nor will I shy away from choosing a secular man over a Christian if I believe him to be the better leader or the better President.

All that being said, I want Huckabee for President. He's my candidate. But I don't want to limit support to the 25% of people or less in this country that claim "Evangelical Christian" as their affiliation. I'd love to see a "Jews for Huckabee" or "Atheists United for Mike" spring up.

D--

2 comments:

germaine said...

I am no political genius... not at all, but I totally agree with you...

Love ~G

Tact_Prez said...

Right on. Huckabee isn't going to force his views on anyone, but he's not going to deny the implacable influence Christianity has had on his character. This is also the deal breaker for Romney. People say we shouldn't hold his religion against him if we don't want others to hold ours (Christianity) against us. Fine, I agree. But I'm not electing a person because he will or won't be of a certain religion. I elect a President based no his character, and if one knows anything about any of the religions, Christianity is decidedly the most consistent and upright of moral standards. I want a President who is a Christian because I can trust him! Not that he will always be perfect, but he will own up to his mistakes, accept consequences and be held to a higher standard.
God Bless Mike Huckabee and keep him strong.

If you like Mike, sign The Huckabee Petition!
http://www.iwouldvoteforhuckabee.com
thanks!