Monday, December 12, 2005

The Nature of Redemption...

The impending execution of Crips founder "Tookie" Wilson is prompting a firestorm of conversation over whether his "redemption" is enough to predicate his release from his death sentence.

I don't know the man's salvation status, I've heard very little about him. But the conversation had in it something which sparked a response.

A friend relayed that "Tookie's faith is getting him through."

OH man, I hope he has a stronger faith than mine!

My faith isn't enough. My efforts won't cut the mustard. I can't EVER hold on tight enough for what comes at me on a bad day.

It may just be an expression, I won't hold any man to what is said like that... but I hear that all the time, "His faith is getting him through." And I was struck... Our faith is NOT what gets us through, our FAITH is what is granted to us by our REDEEMER. Our REDEEMER gets us through.

So the conversation on redemption misses the point. It's the WHO of redemption, not the what. WHO has redeemed you?

D--

No comments: