Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In Defense of Starbucks...

I've written here before that I was concerned about the trashing of Starbuck's. The conservative Christian core (or is that corps) led by Focus on the Family pointed out complaints based largely on comments on their cups.

Starbucks does run a "The Way I See It" series of brief quotes from luminaries and other customers. Some comments run in past months were in defense of gay rights.

OK, I may not agree with that particular series, but there were many I have agreed with, smiled at or disagreed but had good thoughts stimulated.

I find it interesting that Starbucks is coming under fire from a variety of sources. I chuckle to hear the Left denigrating it as a symptom of the multi-cultural glut. Of the massive standardization and blight.

So Left and Right are complaining... that tells me there's something good going on. And here's what I think it is. Starbucks (and for that matter, Panera) are the first examples of a socially redeeming mass-market retail food chain.

Yes, McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King have had their value. No really, I mean it, there is a value in the quick food. As any parent with a car full of kids trying to get from Point A to Point B in a limited amount of time. To be able to top of the blood sugar and keep them chewing (and not fighting) for a time is priceless.

But our food blob chains of the 50s and 60s enforced a certain individualization. A growing apart.

Interesting aside that CS Lewis pictured Hell in The Great Divorce as a place where people moved a little further apart from each other every day... the cold blackness descending ever-so-slowly on them, sliding further and further apart from the love and care of others...

But our new places are places that bring us together. Throw in Barnes and Noble and Borders with their coffee shops. These are places that invite us in. Invite us to share our lives.

The baristas who pour my coffee get to know me. They're encouraged to do that.

And as a believing Christian, I find that these are amazing places where God works. I'm in Starbucks now. It was here I first heard of John Eldredge. Where Blue Like Jazz first came to my attention. Where I've overheard some marvellous conversations.

It was in Panera where I first met my pastor and now my friend, Darin Shaw.

Even the cups. They urge me to slow down. To read. To reflect.

OK, some will be ideas I don't like. But some will be ideas that advance God's Kingdom...

Another aside... I wonder if Jim Dobson thought of submitting a gentle "The Way I See It..." He'd reach a far broader audience, and one that needs his message of Jesus' love.

So I came into Starbucks today, beaten and down... the first day of school, the kids are gone and I'm feeling the strain of 5 years of managing it all by myself.

And what should happen but the most amazing and sweet Christian meeting as I learned that one of my favorite baristas is a believer. She introduced me to another believer.

I'm humbled and I'm encouraged. Starbucks has created a place where God can work... by simply creating a space where we can meet, talk and connect.

That's a good thing.

D--

5 comments:

Jackie said...

D,

Nice to see you got another post up before the end of the month! Haha! Just kidding! I haven't checked in for a bit, but I'm glad to see you are enjoying the company at Starbuck's and the like. I agree that these places bring people together and are indeed a good place to sit and chat. I myself was at a Barnes & Nobles just about a year ago.....getting to know "my" pastor! I love it when I hear someone say that!

I hope the first day of school wasn't too rough for you. Getting everyone ready for a new school year and out the door every morning is a challenge. And you have a few more to deal with than I did! Your words took me right back to all those years of "doing it myself" and I am happy to report that this was Year 17 and I made it once again! Yippee! Both girls are in college now, one away and one commuting. Back-to-school shopping is a bit more involved when they go away to school. You can relate to that too!

Hope we will be meeting up again soon! Are you planning on joining in on the Thursday night group? Haven't heard anything yet about resuming our Tuesday night group. I'll check in with "our" pastor and the rest of our friends.
Take care! Talk to you soon!

amanda said...

i will add that starbucks is amazing not only because my friends and i love their java chip frappuchinos ;-) but because it's a place where we go together and talk and escape from our homework and the busyness of life for awhile. I love coffee shops, although I really don't like coffee all that much, they are a very nice place to get to spend time with a good friend and catch up on life and all that God is doing

germaine said...

Hey there!
Man, when I first started coming to CCA and became a youth leader I would meet with my pastor at the Starbucks in Barnes & Noble.... I am sensing a trend... he goes there with those he loves most... :-)

GO STARBUCKS!! TAKE DOWN THE DD ANTI-COFFEE!!!

Love ~G

Dave Nichols said...

Amanda...

We'll see what we can do to convert you to the caffeinated...

D--

amanda said...

haha :-) oh boy...